Topband: FL 0400 UTC 160 DX Opening

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FL 0400 UTC 160 DX Opening
From: kn4lf@earthlink.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:24:03 +0000
  The "Topband Phone DX'ers Group" was in session this morning starting at
0400 UTC on 1847 kc. We had a good band opening from New England to Florida
and as far west as Texas, with MW0, G's, HB, LA's, S57 and UA2 booming in at
S9 to +10 sigs.
  I did notice some signal degradation compared to the night before and it
did get worse beginning at 0500 UTC. The degradation can be explained as
increased signal absorption via the D layer, as the proton flux became
elevated above 10+o beginning at 1800 UTC yesterday and then moved above
10+1 at 0500 UTC.

73,
Thomas Giella, KN4LF