Topband: Four Square Sloper Array over poor ground....

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Four Square Sloper Array over poor ground....
From: k1jj@snet.net (Tom Cathey)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:31:26 -0500
Hi Bill,

I appreciate your and the many private email suggestions for my parasitic
tower reflector question!  Thank you Earl, K6SE, for your detailed
information and suggestions.

It appears that the tuned reflector tower is not a good idea for various
reasons, so I'm looking closely at your dipole four square idea, Bill.

I was not aware that the four square dipole sloper system was physically
configured like two quad loops at right angles. (view-wise). Thought they
were simply pulled out straight to the ground.  That's good - more compact.
OK on detuning the towers.

With the Comtek phasing box it looks like about the most efficient and
simple way to do a four square.  And no radials needed...

This is a VERY do-able array -  It requires a single 200' tower.. I can use
the 10' mast at the top to reach 200'.

The only concerns I have are the possible interactions with a 2el 75M quad
at the top as well as a 40M 2 el quad below it at 100'.  Must do some
serious modeling.

Also, obviously there are no ground radials involved.  I have poor ground,
almost rock ledge. What do you (and others) think of a dipole sloper array
like this over poor ground without a radial system?  Since it is almost
fully vertically polarized, it makes me wonder if the published  Comtek
figures will hold up...

Thanks.

Tom, K1JJ