Topband: K9AY loop results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY loop results
From: lremigio@commsearch.com (Lionel Remigio)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:22:28 +0000
Floyd:

You must have a poor ground or something wrong with your K9AY setup.

I have one close to  a lake in my property and works great. ( one ground rod
goes into the lake bed)
The second K9AY used as reference antenna for my MFJ Noise Canceling unit is
on my rood and I'm also able to get great results but not as good as the one
in the lake because the ground is not a perfect one.

With my antenna on the lake I got almost 30 dB's null on  ANY AM station in
the broadcast band. I'm in Miami and I can null local stations and listen to
Cuban AM stations in the same frquency and this is amazing. I have in both
antennas Vactrols to get a perfect result nulling desired directions.

In 160 meters I can null any American station to hear the Cubans in AM (
novice CL use only AM in 160 meters) and when they are there I null ANY US
station to listen the Cubans usually with 10 or 15 watts and I get a clear
copy.

And in 80 the antenna is not too god but I can "see" the difference. Also I
get some difference in 40 meters where I can " see" readings when listeing
to US and Cuban stations and I see a lot of difference in the gain. 2-5 dB's
sometines when changing North-South positions with my K9AY antenna in the
lake but...ALWAYS using the Vactrol...

Remember that depending of the arrival angle, you would get a better or
worse signal. But if you can't get a decent null in AM, something is wrong
with your antenna or set up. I have the original stuff ( loop control and
antenna head unit) from K9AY and distributed by Array Solutions and is
working perfect.

So, I recommend you to get a better ( or improved) ground  because may be
this is why you have poor results.

Lionel Remigio, KC4CLD
President
Communications Research Group, Inc