Topband: K9AY loop results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY loop results
From: sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:05:22 -0500
I am just finishing up my first season with the K9AY loop - no other
directional antennas on the low bands.  I erected two loops at right
angles, and use a Vactrol device to vary the termination resistance.  I
get the best results on 80 meters, where the S/N ratio is improved over
my vertical on all DX stations.  I can get clear copy on signals I can
just barely hear on the vertical or inverted L.  The reduction in QRN
from distant storms was very dramatic, with the crashes many S units
down compared to the other antennas (again, best on 80 meters).  160
performance is not as good - no improvement noted in S/N ratio.  On the
AM BC band, the front to back ratio varies all over the place, with up
to 7 S unit difference on weak signals during the daytime.  Nighttime
generally shows 2-3 S units difference F to B.  I note that the Vactrol
setting for best F/B ratio is different for BC, 160, 80, 40, as
advertised. With the Vactrols going for something like $2.50, it's
probably the cheapest and most effective means of varying the
terminating resistance.

...snip...

--
K8AC