Fw: Re: Topband: Noise and reception

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Re: Topband: Noise and reception
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:39:36 -0800
Tom, W8JI wrote:

"I think if there was a significant higher angle component (say above 30
degrees) at modest or long distances
my low dipole and high dipole would (be) better than the vertical."
==========
My observation is that the lower the angle of radiation is, the better
off you are.

Modeling shows that a vertical over salt water has maximum radiation
about 7 degrees above the horizon.  The balloon-supported vertical I used
in the recent 160-meter contests was over ground with higher conductivity
than sea water, so I assume the angle of max radiation was even lower
than 7 degrees.

I was worried that the angle of max radiation at that salt lake bed would
be too low, but instead I was amazed at the outstanding results that
location produced.

73, de Earl, K6SE