Topband: Noise and reception

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noise and reception
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 05:26:10 -0500
Hi, Tom-
Frankly, I have zero emotional investment in whether the loop
receives any horizontally polarized signal or not. The fact
remains that I am seeing real, usable improvement in S/N over
my 80 and 160m tx verticals. I am open to explanations of what
other mechanism makes this antenna work- just so long as you
are not trying to convince me that I should ignore the evidence
of my own ears.  :o)   BTW my version of K6STI's loop seems
to hear, on average, about as good as my Flag and K9AY and
shorty 225ft Beverage. It hears the best of the bunch to my
south, as the other 3 antennas beam NE or W. It seems to have
some unusual characteristics, being the only supposedly non-
directional antenna of the bunch. These are difficult to describe
or quantify, but my ears clearly tell me that there is something
useful in S/N improvement taking place. How can this be if
the antenna is truly omni-directional *and* is a cloud warmer
*and* does respond to vertically polarized energy (noise) after
all? Something does not compute here. I am not yet ready to
discount K6STI's explanation of how the antenna operates, at
least not entirely. OK, so this antenna in the real world
technically should not work- but mine does. Why? And why
did the prototype W6KUT antenna work? Why is the performance
repeatable at all, even just twice?  If I were to fully follow
and surrender to your line of reasoning, I would never have
built the antenna in the first place, and it should not have
worked.
BTW, for further discussions, if any, I did not take extreme pains
to make the antenna either precisely square or precisely level.
I did a fairly good job with careful measurements and used a
spirit level briefly, but I doubt it is exceptionally symetrical or
level. I certainly did not achieve quarter inch accuracy, as an
earlier post alludes to. I did carefully follow the designers
hints regarding the construction of the open wire line and the
tuning box connections. What got me going was when a user
advised that he had build a substantially modified version of
the loop and was not impressed. I would agree with you that
the construction would be tricky, and therefore thought it unfair
that the antenna would be slammed on that basis. I was not even
responding to your posts BTW, which seem entirely reasonable,
other than perhaps your sarcasm.
Tom, have you ever actually built a K6STI loop? You say that
the vertical loops 'want to work' but this horizontal loop does
not. I would have to disagree with that assertion. Aside from
theory, do you have any experience or factual basis for
believing that? I must say that I have detected, at times, a note
of impatience and even sarcasm in your posts about various
'non-workable' designs. This one obviously made your list.
I am sure the antenna is no exception at all, and conforms to
the laws of physics just like any other antenna, albeit in a
complex manner, as is always true in the real, imperfect world.
Despite the power and logic of your arguments, you have not
yet persuaded me to take down the antenna. My ears advise
otherwise. The antenna has been a valuable asset to me.
Is there a more likely explanation for how the antenna actually
works that differs considerably from K6STI's assumptions?
I think we would all benefit from hearing it- I know I would.
So far for me, the gist of your arguments is that the antenna
should not work- but it does!
Thanks for all your great posts over the years, Tom. I have
learned a lot. Your key clicks mods have been especially a
great service to all!  73, David K3KY