Topband: Power line communication (PLC) - Trends in Holland

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Power line communication (PLC) - Trends in Holland
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:00:13
>...50µV at 3m is much too
>high.  It's totally unacceptable from the points of view of a lot of
>spectrum users.  I would guess that that level was proposed because of
>the business opprotunities it affords.
>
>I was also trying to say that we shouldn't despair yet. ...Like all the
>spectrum users, we're going to
>have to find technical solutions to congestion, competition, and bad
>neighbors... I suspect that the PLC has limitations in speed and
>bandwidth that are going to put it near the back of the pack.  That
>spells death for it in the long run.  PLC lets the power companies and
>apartment owners play in the Internet game, but it's probably not
>going to let them win.

Also, would the interfererce be mutual?   We all know what noisy phone lines
can do with dial-up.  What  happens when data gets lost and currupted every
time we go on the air.  Does that become the PLC's worry, or do people start
screaming at us as they now do with stereo and telephone interference when
equipment that is not intended to pick up our signals acts like a  radio
receiver anyway?

Don K4KYV