Topband: Increase in localised conditions?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Increase in localised conditions?
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:50:42 +0800
G'day es HNY,

It has been interesting to read the posts of the good conditions (for some)
between the USA and Europe - and the disappointment/puzzlement of others
with good stations in USA/Europe, who have had no propagation.

This year/season, I am firmly convinced that there has been a much higher
percentage of times when I cannot hear stations being worked by Mike VK6HD,
450 km SE of me, than I have ever experienced before on 160.  In short,
160m conditions/propagation seem much more 'localised' at higher levels of
solar activity than at lower ones.

Maybe this is something we are all experiencing?

It would be interesting what those who are knowledgeable about MF
propagation think about this possibility?

Of course, I could be "talking through my hat" (old Aussie saying) here,
but then, of course, I am upside-down all the time.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ