Topband: Aero mobile experiment question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Aero mobile experiment question
From: ab5a@clarc.org (Ken "AB5A" Eckel)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:07:10 -0600
Fellow Reflectees:

I am installing an HF rig in my vintage airplane.  I am wanting to
experiment with dragging
a longwire for lowband operation.  Has anyone on the list tried this?
Obviously it has been
done for years but I would like to try it as an amateur.

Question:  How could you model this setup?

How long should the wire be?  1 WL 2 WL?

Is there an optimum altitude above ground for ground gain?

I live close to the coastline, I could fly it out over the salt water
would there be any benefit?

My first impression is that hearing is going to be challenging.  Beverages
work over
poor ground and reject local QRN.  At altitude you will hear everything.

I'm gonna try this but thought I'd put it out there and see if there is some
experience
from which I could learn.

73,
Ken AB5A