Topband: TS2000

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TS2000
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:12:38 -0500
> Does anyone out there have any experience on the lowbands yet with the
> new Kenwood TS2000?  I do some weak signal work on 432 and 1296 and
> would like to do some rig consolidation.  The TS2000 looks OK on paper
> (what I can tell from the sales brochure anyway) but am concerned
> about overall receiver performance, susceptibility to overload, etc.
> Just curious to know if anyone has any firsthand experience yet.

I'd look at the ARRL site in the reviews, and look at the close
spaced receiver numbers and transmitter performance! Ignore the
words, and look at the numbers.

Both the RSGB and ARRL have tested the TS-2000, and it is one
of the worse radios ever tested for transmitter IMD problems on 160
meters.

A class C amplifier operated into limiting has a third-order IMD of
about -15 dB or so, and the TS-2000 made about -25 dB in ARRL
and RSGB tests. (In contrast an old Collins KWM-2 makes about -
50dB third order IMD)  Another big problem is the higher order
products don't fall off very fast.

I'm not sure how it is on CW clicks, I wish the ARRL would start
testing rigs for CW bandwidth with actual spectrum tests!!!

I'd also look closely at receiver close spaced tests for this rig
before buying one. Most rigs that rely exclusively on DSP for
filtering have poor close-spaced DR and blocking performance.

Thankfully the ARRL is now publishing close-spaced IMD and
blocking tests for receiver, due in part to comments on this
reflector! The ARRL listened to the public's receiver comments and
reacted in a positive manner. Hopefully CW clicks will be measured
and published as well!

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com