Topband: JT1 Polar Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JT1 Polar Path
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:41:20 -0500
> Looking at the propagation path via the W6EL propagation program, from
> the continental U.S. to JT1 is definitely a polar path through the
> aurora oval, so it will be a tougher propagation path for many of
us.

JT1 was SE on 160 last evening, and almost due south today on
160. JT1 was SSE on 80 meters tonight, and quite good. Just like
with XZ1 and other stations way out on the edge, the path is
virtually always *NOT* the slightly shorter most direct route.

I noticed W4ZV spotted him on 80 the same direction I was hearing
him.

Path may be almost always predictable as the shortest route when
distances are small, but not when people are half-way around the
world from each other.

Scan those skew path antennas, and don't spend much time
looking over the pole unless you are on 20 meters or higher!!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com