Topband: Delta Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Delta Loop
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:29:20 +0000

W4EF wrote:
>I would consider putting some radials underneath the delta loop to improve
efficiency.

        I agree completely...but that does not mean an elevated GP or
a Delta loop will not work.  Improving the ground under any vertically
polarized antenna is ALWAYS a good idea.  A Delta loop can be made to
have 2.0-2.5 dB gain over one elevated GP and is as easy to implement
as an elevated GP with 2 radials (one apex and two supports near ground
level).  That does not mean either antenna is equivalent to a ground-
mounted vertical with a proper ground system...an elevated GP is likely
down >5 dB and the Delta is down <3 dB.  Using a total of one wavelength
of wire, the Delta is probably the most efficient antenna there is for
dB per foot of wire used and is one of the simplest to implement.  All
of us on the East Coast know how effective W3BGN's is on Topband but I
do not know if Steve uses a ground screen underneath his.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV