Topband: Beacon in 1907.50 ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beacon in 1907.50 ?
From: nr1dx@tellink.net (NR1DX)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:28:16 +0000
Lionel

It is probably a commercial fishing boat "float beacon".  Commercial
fishing boats particularly drift net and "long line"  operations who may
put out a couple of miles of  baited hooks or nets use them to mark the
ends of their lines so they can locate the beginning of the run them later.
Although usually less than a watt or two in output power, floating on top
of a salt water ground plane they can be heard for 100's of miles.

We hear them all the time up here in New England (there is a consistent one
at 1955.5) being used presumably by the sword fish boats ( as depicted in
the movie The Perfect Storm) who I am told can lay out 7-10 miles of line .
They then steam back to the beginning of the run where the beacon is to
reel it in.

Dave
NR1DX