Topband: W3LPL CQWW DX Phone 160M condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: W3LPL CQWW DX Phone 160M condx
From: dz@VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:50:40 -0500 (EST)
The conditions experienced at 160 Meter position at W3LPL were unusual,
to say the least, for the CQWW DX Phone contest. Can you believe that of
the 36 countries worked in only ONE, an HG9, was from Europe!  A number of
'close' African stations made it into the log, including EA8, D4, IH9,
CT3, etc.. Before our saturday sunrise we managed to work VK6HD, VK3IO &
5W0MO but no KH6 was even heard.

Things got very interesting Sunday morning local when the Aurora hit.
During the magnet storm, as expected, the path to the south became
enhanced and a number of South Americans were worked. The south and
southwest Beverages worked great in hearing the 4 ZL stations we worked.
NH6XO was the only Hawaiian station heard and finally worked sunday
morning.

The Topband W3LPL 160 Meter log ended up with 36 countries in 16 zones.

As lousy the Topband conditions were, it's interesting to see how
well the propagation has been at the other end of the spectrum.
The 50 MHz conditions have been nothing short of great from the
mid-Atlantic (W3) region over the contest weekend and extending through
today (Tues).  Over 30 countries have made it into the K1HTV 6 Meter log
including E3, FR, LZ, 9A, IS0, EA9, D4, 9G plus dozens of western
European stations.

Working both ends of the spectrum, I have mixed feelings about the kind of
conditions I'd like to see for the next month's CQWW CW DX weekend. The
VHFer in me would love to see a very high MUF which would be great for 6
Meters. The Topband side of me would love to see the MUF do a nosedive and
produce much better 160 Meter conditions for the contest. As they say on
the radio....stay tuned.

73 de Rich - K1HTV (160M op at W3LPL)
dz@voa.gov