Topband: Elevating radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevating radials
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:09:45 -0400
I used elevated radials on an elevated (3 foot off the ground) 80 meter
vertical.
I ran the radials at a 45 degree angle from the base of the vertical up to a
10
foot height and then horizontal from that point on.  Using an antenna
analyzer,
I found the resonant frequency of the vertical moved to 4.000 mhz.  The
design
height or length of the vertical was supposed to be 3.750 mhz.  After
installing
30 elevated radials, I tried an experiment and removed the elevated radials
and ran 30
radials at a 45 degree angle down to the ground and then on the ground from
that point on.  The resonant frequency of the vertical came down
dramatically
to the design frequency of 3.750mhz.  This seems to indicate that using
elevated radials does raise the resonant frequency of the vertical if the
radials
leave the base of the vertical to a position higher than the base.  Just my
actual experience.  BTW, I left the radials on the ground.  Much easier to
handle.

Bill
K2WH