Topband: Shunt-feeding

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt-feeding
From: gabnjb@earthlink.net (Gary Breed)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:52:23 -0400
I must agree with Mauri.  All conductors going up the tower should be
at the same potential to minimize RFI and avoid having those cables
become part of the matching (mis-matching!) circuit.  If all cables enter
the tower structure at the base, you might be close, but the only
guarantee is to attach the shields to the tower at the point of lowest
potential (ground). Ideally, you would bypass the rotator conductors
and other control cables!  Tying cables so they lie tightly against tower
members is the second best solution, but try to ground things first.

Also, grounding cables (or their shields) at the tower base helps route
static discharges to ground without creating voltage differentials that
may propagate into the shack.

73, Gary
K9AY