Topband: 3D2CI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 3D2CI
From: ni6t@intuitive.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 17:42:35 +0100
Nick:

* Amongst the operators is Will, K6NDV. Will is sufficiently experienced to set
up and run a lowband operation, IMHO.

* Ivo, 5B4ADA, says they said they have a Titanex.

* Condx should be improving with dramatically lower A and K figures.

And now, an observation, with a disclaimer----no, it's not my DXpedition, and
yes, I am talking into the wind:

* When I read that only two generators were to be brought, I winced. When one
died, I held my breath. At least 10 operators, 3 stations, 2 generators? In a
tropical marine environment? Bad ratios, IMHO. There may not have been enough
room on the boat for another generator---personally, were that so, I would have
brought fewer people and another generator or two, but it's not my DXpedition.
We brought six 5 kW diesels to Kingman, and, despite pre-testing each one in
Hawaii, and having one team member who virtually dedicated himself to their
care, three--all brand new---eventually died! Rather crucial piece of gear,
especially if they are rented or bought at departure.

A little early for a post-mortem, but a darned shame, if true. Hard to maintain
optimism when it's ten minutes before local sunrise, and not a post or a peep.
QSYed the 40m op around 08Z--to 3505---and barely heard anything.

In '95, we found lowband propagation from Conway (at the other equinox) to be
extremely quirky.

Garry, NI6T