Topband: Question: Guy wires as verticals, also phased

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Question: Guy wires as verticals, also phased
From: k8do@msn.com (k8do)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:10:29 -0400
Let me play the party pooper here and discourage driving the tower and using
the guys as ref/dir... The spacings are wrong for a 3 element, parasitic
array and the reactances are very, very touchy, and getting the shunt feed
to the tower to have the correct reactance was a bitch... I modeled that
extensively and also tried it... I was not impressed with the results...
And, it was a ton of work...
When I decided to try the simple installation with a single driven element,
three as reflectors, and 100 foot spacing, everything fell into place... The
antenna just WANTED to play...  It tuned up immediately, it had great ears,
and the FB ratio was great... It was a happy antenna... It worked Heard
Island on 160 and as far as I can tell it was the furthest station north in
the Great Lakes to do so...

Denny