Topband: Question: Guy wires as verticals, also phased

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Question: Guy wires as verticals, also phased
From: markku.a.oksanen@nokia.com (markku.a.oksanen@nokia.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:56:14 +0300
Hi,

I have been using a single (steel) upper guy (48 m long, 45 degree angle)
against a modest ground system on 160 for now and have simulated an approach
where all three would be used phased.  Does anybody have experience with a
system like this?  The tower is a fully loaded 44 m high and thus the
electrical length there is much longer than 1/4 wave on 160 m.  The
simulations show decent performance when proper phasing is achieved but
before I pick up my toolbox I would like your opinion.

The question goes on also:  A possibility that I have also investigated is
to used the upper guy as one side and the lower guy as the other ("radial")
side of the system making this "ground independent". I would use a balun at
the feed points of all three antennas.  This also looks OK on the computer
but again, before.....

I have a full model of the tower (all antennas) in all of the above.

Thanks!

Markku
OH2RA, WW1C