Topband: Shunt feed vs sloper

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt feed vs sloper
From: zl3ix@inet.net.nz (Greg - ZL3IX)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:51:56 +1200
My apologies for revisiting this thread, which was discussed briefly last
month.

I am tempted to try a sloper as the first Topband antenna from my new QTH
here in ZL, as it will be quicker to get going than a shunt feed to my mast,
but there were a couple of negative comments last month.  These were mainly
to the effect that they (slopers) act more like low dipoles.  Can anyone
elaborate on this?  My first intuition is that a sloper should behave in
very similar fashion to an inverted L with the feed at the top of the
vertical section.

My antenna simulation software predicts very little difference in
performance between a sloper and a shunt fed vertical.  Has anyone compared
them on the air?

73, Greg, ZL3IX