Topband: RE: Pacific 160n Contest strategy

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Pacific 160n Contest strategy
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:52:34 +0000
N6RK:
>When would the VK/ZL sunset peak occur?

ZL after 0500, VK2 after 0700, VK6 after 0930, P29 after 0800

>Any recommendations as to whether my sunrise would be better or not than the
>VK/ZL sunset (or maybe both are equally likely to have good condx).

Both are likely during good condx...especially from W6.  The strongest I ever
heard P29PR from Colorado was at Bob's sunset.

>Does it make any sense to operate between these peak times (like at 3AM local
>time)?

If you are trying to win, it would make sense...if you just want to have fun,
VK/ZL sunset and your sunrise will most likely be the best times.  Signals will
drop between the peaks but you should still be able to hear them from there.

>I am assuming that after 7 AM local time, the contest is basically over for me.

Correct.

>I am planning to put up 550 ft beverages pointing straight east (270 degrees)
>and SSE (210 degrees).  Are these likely to cover it pretty well, or do I need
>additional ones for skew path/long path?

You mean west and SSW but your bearings were correct.  VK (250) and ZL (230)
are fairly close from W6 so I would probably just split the difference with one
at 240.  Skew is unlikely (but possible) and long path is not possible at any
time of year from NA except from W1 in winter (to VK6 only).  More Beverages
are always better if you have the time to put them up!

>Are massive pileups likely on P29?

Probably depends on how strong he is!  The DL3DXX gang did a great job of
working NA from P29VXX a few years ago so probably not too many will be losing
sleep looking for it.

73 & GL!

Bill  W4ZV