Topband: Lightning Arrestor

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning Arrestor
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:35:26 -0700
As an electrical engineer working in power distribution, this
puts me in the unique position of obtaining used, old, discarded
high voltage and low voltage insulators and other equipment.
I also get used or out of service lightning arrestors.  I want to
try to connect a commercial 5kv lightning arrestor to the base of
my 80 meter 1/4 wave vertical.  Has anyone tried this?  Does
anyone have any data on how an arrestor designed for use in 60hz
service will perform or behave in 3.8mhz service?  These arrestors
start to conduct at around 10kv or higher.  They have very low DC
leakage at 5kv, in the uA range.  I am not looking for them to drain
static charge buildup on the antenna I just want to use them to clamp
a direct or nearby strike.  Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for any replies

Bill
K2WH
ex: WA2AEH