Topband: 160m international contest scoring

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m international contest scoring
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:37:15 +0000
>I am not sure why the CQ WW 160 was NOT made either 24 or 48 hours in
>duration, but the net result of this is a 'playing field' that is far from
>level.

Hi All!

        I'm not sure what is the point of endlessly debating this.  NO
contest has a completely level playing field and that's why you compete
against your peers in your own country/area.  Having operated from Colorado
for years, I assure you that it is impossible to win CQ 160 for USA from
there even though I placed #5 several times.  I still found the contest
interesting and was happy to compete with others in my area as well as
my own previous scores.  It is also impossible to win for the world from
the USA...but who cares anyway?

        If you truly want a "level playing field", try to get a place on
the next WRTC which is about as level as it can be.  Meanwhile, let's
enjoy each contest for its own uniqueness and not waste our time and
bandwidth trying to create "level playing fields"...which are an exercise
in academic futility IMHO.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV