Topband: 160m international contest scoring

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m international contest scoring
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:04:55 +0800
G'day,

I'd like to add to the chorus (LZ2CJ, N5IA, K8ND) about the CQ WW 160 that
the element of distance should be rewarded and should be a major factor in
scoring in its scoring.  My suggestion is that all topbanders who feel this
way should e-mail Dave Thompson K4JRB, the contest director, expressing
these views.

I have always found Dave willing to listen to suggestions about the CQ 160
and the more views he receives saying similar things, the more likely there
is likely to be a change.

For me, the Stew Perry has the basic principle for an international 160m
contest exactly right - distance (although I agree the SP multiplier for
QRP is too generous and is seriously hurting the number of topbanders who
enter it/is beginning to ruin it as an truly international event).

The thing for me about the Stew Perry is that if you operate well and have
good conditions in all directions, it can be won from virtually anywhere in
the world (so far it has been won from Europe, the USA and Oceania, for
example, in its short life).  I do not feel the same is remotely possible
with the CQ 160, as the rules currently stand.

I have a (proved) genuine chance to win the Stew Perry.  In the CQ 160, in
around six attempts, I have never got remotely close to winning the Oceania
section, let alone the whole thing.  My average CQ 160 score would be only
a couple of per cent (at most) of the winning score - ironically because
where I live is so far away from the main centres of population and the
amount of contacts possible from here are (relatively) extremely low.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ