Topband: RX antenna switch--FAST!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RX antenna switch--FAST!
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:02:59 -0600
Fellow topbanders...

I'm looking into getting a better set of ears...  I've got a big mouth and
no ears--not good!

What I need is a way to switch in a RX antenna.  I'm thinking that placing
it in the line between the rig and the amp is the place to do it.  I'm
looking to do QSK so it's gotta be fast!

The RX antenna will have a preamp on it.  One slip and bye-bye preamp.  It's
gotta be fast!

The keying line on the ICOM IC-746 switches just prior to transmit.  I
haven't measured it yet but a few milliseconds at best.  This line is used
to switch the amp in but could serve as a trigger to flip the switch
too--instead of sensing RF, which I'm afraid is a bit late to save the
preamps.

Am I reinventing the wheel here?  Doesn't somebody make a QSK switch for
100watts or so that senses the RF and flips to Xmit?  I've been looking at
pin diode switches but I'm not finding much guidance for finding the right
pins to use--and where to get them.  100 watts appears to be a trick.

Email me direct and I can summarize the responses for topband.

Thanks

Ford-N0FP