Topband: inverted U antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: inverted U antenna
From: crg8ibq@rmi.net (Curt Gamble)
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:41:54 -0700
Stan,

One reason for a "U" is since you have dual downleads with the far end grounded
and the feed end fed against ground you have only one fourth the ground losses.

By the way I used airdux coils at each end and my Z into the transmitter was
about 90 ohms.

The second reason is that when the lightning season comes the antenna is
grounded.  I lost an inverted "L" antenna to lightning back in Cincy in about
1969 due to a coming storm out on the horizon.  Well it is a good way to meet
neighbors whom you have never met before.  SMILE!!!  With the inverted "U"
antenna lightning struck a tree across the street but did not bother the 90 ft
high inverted "U" antenna during the 10 years I had it up.

73,    Curt   W0ALC  (ex K8IBQ)  Durango, CO.