Topband: Re: Beverage Length

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Beverage Length
From: Jan.E.Holm@telia.se (Jan.E.Holm@telia.se)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:39:55 +0200
     Nobody seems to talk about the wave angle of the beverage
     main lobe, at least I haven´t seen anything.
     Seems to me that anything much shorther then 4 wl doesn´t
     work. If you check Misek's book you can see that you need
     about 4 wl for 25-30 deg waveangle and anything higher than
     that is useless.
     In any case I have tried many many beverages and for me they
     don´t perform untill they reach 1000 ft approx, all this work was
     done on 80 meters, figure same would apply on 160.

     73, Jim SM2EKM

     PS: This 2wl stuff below I don´t understand. IMHO the waveangle
     is the far too high to receive the DX. Sure the wire will RX a lot
     of signals but I´m looking for DX and where I´m at in the aurora
     zone the lower angle I can produce the better. Any more idéas?