Topband: Beverage Front to Back Non-exsistant

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Front to Back Non-exsistant
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 15:03:19 -0400
> Was playing with my beverage today and noticed I have no front to back
> when using a distant AM radio signal source as a reference when I
> terminate and un terminate the beverage.

At what frequency Pete? At the upper end of the BC band, you
should still see F/B (it will be 1 wl long electrically or longer) but at
the bottom of the BC band the Beverage will only be 1/3 wl long
electrically! Don't expect any great directivity in that case.

I spot check my Beverages at the upper end of the AM band every
day. I have a list of stations with F/B ratios written down. When a
termination opens up or an antenna falls...I know immediately
which one it is. I don't see why your system should behave any
differently.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com