Topband: K2ZJ preamplifier

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K2ZJ preamplifier
From: altdx@worldnet.att.net (Dr. John Harden)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:55:33 -0400
Dear 160 gang,

My northeast EWE to Europe is my best 160 receive antenna for that area.
The EWE is a 160/80 antenna 38 feet long and about 15 feet high at each
end. I use an ICE terminating resistor, and a K2ZJ preamplifier. The
K2ZJ preamp works better than my ICE indoor 1.8 to 2.0 MHz preamplifier.
I use the ICE preamplifier for a SW pennant and a flat-top 160 meter
dipole that is OMNI (and 6 feet off of the ground).

A preamplifier at the feed point really works well. However, it does not
do well with lightening!!!
The MAR-3 IC will not hold up...I keep spares.

The 250 foot 80 meter beverage works well with a home brew termination
resistor housed in a
plastic chicken-salad container. The balun is by ICE. The antenna points
to the North, and is used without a preamplifier.The pennant uses a
homebrew resistor and an ICE balun.

With the NE EWE I can always hear Europe well. That is my best
direction...I use an OMNI VI-PLUS with the blanker engaged. With the
blanker engaged the signals just jump out of the noise!

73,

John, W4NU