Topband: 160 receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 receivers
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:06:48 EDT
It is important to note however, that the stock Omni VI+ is hampered by
limited dynamic range.  W8JI clearly spelled out the requirement for robust
dynamic range (in an earlier post), where single hop domestic (or in my
case, groundwave) signals compete in the front end with weak dx.  I replaced
my Omni VI+ for this reason alone, since it would completely block when a
local ham was audacious enough to get anywhere on TopBand at the same time .
. .

I heard from one source (unfortunatly too late) that replacing the 15khz
roofing filter of the Omni with a 2.4khz xtal filter will significantly
improve its BDR.  The stock Omni BDR tests about 15-20dB less than its
competition in the ARRL reviews, and my experience with the 1000MP that
replaced it confirms this.

73,
Barry  N1EU