Topband: C&S Engineering

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: C&S Engineering
From: gtaft@voyager.net (George Taft)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:06:30 -0400
Further info re C & S Preamps and "Front End Savers" below:

Joe & Sue Natale wrote:

> I read in an earlier posting that since the death of Chuck Lewis, C&S
> (makers of pre amps and the Front End Saver) had gone out of business. I
> received a reply to an email to C&S Engineering stating that they are still
> in business. Chuck Lewis' XYL Sharon said that since his death, she is now
> running the business herself. I guess she is the S in C&S.

True.  Sharon Lewis carries on building the "Front End Saver" described by
KD9SV.

Also, she  took an order for an 80 & 160 M preamp we ultimately shipped to
Mike, VK6HD.
But the unit was build by Gary, KD9SV and Sharon billed it to us.

I think if one were interested in the C & S preamp, you should ask Sharon if
she could get Gary to build them for you.  Sharon told me she was not
comfortable building those units as her husband had
done.

> I have placed an
> order for a Front End Saver to go with a 160 receiving loop and hope to be
> on active on Topband soon.

This is also a nice unit for protection of the rcvr front end.  As it has an
external T/R relay, it can also prevent damage to a rcvr's T/R relay from an
amp.  I use one with my "travelling" ICOM 751A
which I have further modified to accept multiple beverage connections and
appropiate switching.

73  George  W8UVZ