Topband: More 3W5FM, Reflector, etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: More 3W5FM, Reflector, etc.
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 14:53:19 -0500
W4ZV wrote:

>John, I wonder if this may be the exception because a true 180 degree
>reciprocal path may be possible without having to pass through
>or near the polar daylight regions.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
>think VK6 is about 300 degrees from Boston.

It's about 330 degrees--almost the same as JA--so a 180 degree reciprocal
path really should be SE.  However, because VK6 is not too far from
antipodal, these LP/SP distinctions are perhaps not so meaningful. As you
suggest, the signals will follow the path of "least resistance".  VK9X/VK9Y
are almost exactly antipodal to here and when they were on, the direction
of arrival varied all over the place, even during the same session.

>Very interesting...I didn't even realize there was LP during the
>summer!

Yes, it's an unusual path, because as I said, it peaks well before sunset,
which is not a time when a lot of people would be on the band.  Apparently
daylight isn't necessarily an impediment to propagation at certain times!
I've worked VK3DZM around the equinox on 80 LP over Europe more than an
hour before my sunset and an hour after his sunrise.  I once heard him on
LP at an unbelievable S7 more than two hours before my sunset!  I couldn't
even hear the Europeans he was working.  W2HCW and K1FZ used to keep daily
schedules with VK6LK throughout the summer although I don't know if they
still do.  A bunch of other VK6's also come through from time to time.
VK6APZ has the most consistent signal on the summer LP (he runs a 4 square)
but I haven't heard him in a while.

>The fact that the signals are NE is interesting and might
>support the notion that signals are refracting around the NORTH polar
>area of perpetual greyline in the summer just as they may do around the
>South pole in our winter.

Right--that's exactly what I was suggesting.  Maybe if more people are made
aware of the north polar grey-line in summer, we could get more
observations of it.

73, John W1FV