Topband: Vertical on tophill loc. ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Vertical on tophill loc. ?
From: kk@cg.yu (V.Kecman, Kele YU1AO/6)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:29:30 +0100
Apart from K6STI's TA1.0 software, the phenomenum of hilltop locations is
explained in the book: Physical Design of Yagi Antennas, by W6NL (ex W6QHS).
>From the personal experience, I can claim that hilltops or mountaintops
improve low angle takeoff from any antenna, even verticals. I had two 40m
verticals with 30 radials on the very nice hilltop in YU1AAO. They performed
excellent during WAE contest 1984 with very obvious improvement to this
system on path to JA. At that time, my signal was competitive to any UA3/UA6
stn, and this was only with 500w from FL2100.

My other experience with mountaintops was on 160m, but this time with
horizontal dipole during 1997 CQWW SSB. This dipole was only 6 meters high
above mountain peak, but was very effective on both transmitt and receive,
since it was much quieter than vertical dipole, or vertical, from other two
YU stations...

Therefore, I think that you should exercise both horizontal and vertical
antenna on your mountaintop. It may well happen that with horizontally
polarized loop you willnot need additional rcv antennas...

73 Kele YU1AO/6