Topband: Beverage Ground

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Ground
From: herbs@islands.vi (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:21:41 -0400
Bill, I have not tried it yet but a folded 1/4 wave (1/8 wave of 300 ohm twin
lead) should work as a non radiating termination to a classical beverage.  I
have tried the zig zag with acceptable results but normally the termination is
a 4 foot rod with at least a few radials.

Have you considered a two wire beverage with the far end shorted.  That allows
the termination at the fed end.  I have seen 300 twin lead advertised at 1000
feet for about $75 bucks but have yet to try this for a two wire beverage.  The
twin lead 22awg 7 strands of 30 gauge would need to be supported often for a
long beverage and probably would not last long.  But what about running it out
on the snow before a contest? Why not?  I think if far end grounding is a
problem then the twin lead approach might be worth a try, depending on desired
direction.

73

Herb.