Topband: GAP

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: GAP
From: jfeustle@glasscity.net (J. Feustle)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:27:37 -0500
Sante,

I've had a GAP Voyager just about since they were first advertised. I wanted
something to get me on 160. What I've found is that the antenna's
performance decreases markedly as you move lower in the bands. On 40 it's
nice, not the 2 element yagi that I had at my other QTH, but acceptable. On
80 I survive. On 160 it's pure frustration. I believe I've seen its
efficiency cited at about 20% on this band.

I've messed with the counterpoises and just about everything else I could
think of to get better results, all to no avail. I'm now experimenting with
other antennas, the current one being a ground-fed model from W9INN. The
next one will probably be an inverted L.

Bottom line: I've found the Voyager to be fun for playing around on 160 but
hopelessly outclassed for DX.

Hope to see you in the contest, if I don't fall asleep that is.

73,
Joe, N8JF