Topband: Confusion with Terms

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Confusion with Terms
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:28:35 -0500
At 05:54 PM 12/13/99 -0500, Joseph Dube wrote:

>Can someone out there who is more knowledgable than I, straighten me out
>with a few terms that I have noticed being used on the reflector lately.
>The term "LP" I presume is the abbriviation for "long path".

The term "long path" tends to be used kind of loosely but people are
usually referring to something very roughly in the direction of "reverse
azimuth".   On 160 it's pretty hard for most of us to determine exact
direction of arrival.  Sometimes LP seems to correspond pretty closely to a
true reverse azimuth path--for example the LP into Japan (rare on 160) at
sunset from the southeast direction.  Other times there is some skewing
involved.  The LP direction from W1 to VK6 at sunset is usually northeast
to east, whereas "true" LP would be southeasterly.  I've heard LP VK6 on
numerous occasions on 160, but never from the southeast.  I have also
observed a couple instances of skewed LP into 9V from the southeast
direction, whereas true LP would be slightly west of south from W1.  I also
once heard LP JA's from the northeast.  Isn't it fascinating stuff?

73, John W1FV