Topband: Confusion with Terms

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Confusion with Terms
From: kk4tr@webtv.net (Joseph Dube)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:54:29 -0500 (EST)
Can someone out there who is more knowledgable than I, straighten me out
with a few terms that I have noticed being used on the reflector lately.
The term "LP" I presume is the abbriviation for "long path".  My
confusion is that, I was unaware that "revese azmuth" of a great circle
heading on 160 meters was possible to transmit and recieve on. It was
also my pression that due to the atmospheric ionization  below the
reflecting layer in the stratosphere, radio frequencies are almost
competely absorbed  and  consequently  no long distance ("skip" for lack
of a better term) propagation -all high angle or close in. However if
the "long path" being refered to is the Grayline path which at this time
of year is to the Southeast at sunset and the Southwest at sunrise. Why
use a term that might be missunderstood and means something different on
other bands. The Grayline path is truley the "long path" on 160m .  It
is much longer in most cases than a  "reverse azmuth " path on the
higher frequencies.  I guess its just that I have been noticing the term
being used this season quite a bit and need some clarification. I need
some help with this one guys.  Humor me. Operators are standing

Joe  KK4TR
Tampa,Fl.
kk4tr@webtv.net

The KK4TR Radio  & SWL Website