Topband: VE1ZZ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VE1ZZ
From: sire@omen.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:10:58 +0800
>Some comment here from the VK/ZL crew on Jacks signal where he is the
>farthest away should be interesting.
>
>The Mysteries of Top Band.  They keep us all coming back for more....
>saying WHAT is this band going to do THIS time to defy the rules!
>
>73
>
>Robin Critchell, WA6CDR
>Top Band Captain, XZ0A

The signal from Jack VE1ZZ is simply far the best and most consistent out
of North America into VK6 (Perth area).

Jack's signals on the SP (ie. at VK6 sunset) are consistent, but are not
necessarily as strong as some of the 'big gun' east coast stations.
However, the consistency of his signal is only matched by that of Tom W8JI
and Jeff K1ZM - the two best signals out of the eastern half of the USA
here - closely followed by those of Bill W0ZV and Bob W4DR.

(I have not included the west coast in this, where I would have to make
mention of Bob N7UA and Bob W7LR).

However, the really noteworthy thing about Jack's signal is the way it
comes through here on the 'LP' at sunrise.  For the last two seasons (this
includes this one), VE1ZZ has been the ONLY LP signal worked from NA.

What is more, I work Jack on an almost daily basis, as does Mike VK6HD, on
the LP for much of the season, equinox to equinox.  While I must have
worked Jack getting on for two hundred times over the last four to five
years LP, I have only made around half a dozen other NA contacts in this
time/mode!!!!!

Whether Jack is always a true LP signal in a geographical sense is an
interesting question - sometimes his signal seems to come in from the north
and is audible only on my north facing inverted vee, while there is nothing
on the east-west Bev.  Whatever, his signal always comes through at the
time that a LP station should - and is often stronger than European signals.

His ability to find a station in the noise and time his calling to
perfection during an opening is simply awesome.  As an operator, Jack is
'simply the best', as the song says.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ