Topband: Help with Beverage choke value

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Help with Beverage choke value
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:31:53 EST
I'm modifying my unidirectional NE Beverage per Fig 7-21 in ON4UN's book -
adding a relay to the far end to be able to switch it to an unterminated
Beverage for use on domestic contacts.  Would appreciate help with what
value of choke to use in series with the relay coil and in series with the
dc source.  I suspect I need a choking impedance of at least 500+ ohms at
the 50 ohm receiver end (in series with dc source) and 5000+ ohms at the
terminated 450 ohm end (in series with relay coil).  A Radio Shack 100uH
choke should work for the receiver end, but would come up short for the
terminated end.  Is this reasoning correct?

Any tips on fashioning a small 500uH +  choke would be appreciated -
especially winding one on the MN8CX cores I have on hand.

Tnx vy much for any help & best wishes to all,
Barry  N1EU