Topband: Telephone cable for radials?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Telephone cable for radials?
From: gary.hosler@kodak.com (gary.hosler@kodak.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:49:39 -0600

From: Gary R Hosler

I used surplus telephone cable for radials on my phased verticals.  Works
great.  The particular stuff that I had was 15 twisted pairs.  I cut a
chunk of cable to length and soldered the ends together at one end and
attached it to the braid.  I then slit the outside sheath and speard out
the 15 pairs.  As ambition moved me I would then untwist the twisted pairs.
This was a very neat way for me to improve the verticals.  I didn't want to
bury the radial field and only used the verticals in late Fall through
early Spring.  At the sign of first snow I would install everything and let
the snow cover up the radials (XYL friendly installation).  Given the cable
was surplus and very cheap I would gather up the radials in the Spring and
toss them in the garbage (had lots of the cable on hand).  Made tear down
and storage a snap.  The only downside to using the telephone cable is that
the wires are VERY small (fine guage and difficult to strip).

de W0AW