Topband: Seasonal Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Seasonal Propagation
From: S21YP@granger.bdonline.com (Bob G3REP)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:31:45 +0600

Hi all
I am including all the replies I got to my original posting.
In summary people have observed the difference in propagation but no one
actually came up with a conclusive answer.
Could it be a temperature related phenomena since the F2 density is related
to temperature and more dense in winter due to the temperature it
propagates higher freqs better ?? and the temperature distribution seems
worse (sorry lowest !!) in jan & feb ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Original Posting
perhaps I am making a wrong assumption here but is the propagation to the
northern hemisphere more favourable in Jan and feb rather than Nov Dec ??

I have the impression (perhaps misguided) that the propagation for those in
the north ie EU, JA & NA  is at its best in jan and feb ie after the winter
solstice  than before ??

Is there such a thing as ionospheric lag (ie similar to thermal lag ) or is
it just a demographic input that amateurs are more aware of propagation,
have more spare time, more tied to the shack than before the Xmas period ??

Subject: Re: Topband: Seasonal Propagation

..well seems your correct that propagation improves on more
northernly paths........Example.....the guys South of me in Georgia
etc are hearin JA stations....I have Never heard a JA until December
yet I can usually stilll hear them as late in the season as March/first
part of April.....

John K9UWA