Topband: 30 foot square ground screen

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 30 foot square ground screen
From: K0CKD.ennis@mcleodusa.net (Dennis G. Peterson)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:46:17 -0500
Hi Gang;  I can't remember if this question has been posed
on the reflector before or not so I will ask again for those
who may also be interested in the answer.

Being a city dweller with limited realestate and property
area, I am using a short vertical antenna that does quite
well with only 42 short 36 foot long radials underneath the
antenna.  I am curious to find out if I were to add a 30
foot square 1" mesh chicken-wire ground screen between the
guy anchors and covering the area directly beneath the
vertical from corner to corner on the guys, can I or will I
see any noticeable or appreciable difference?  Currently the
antenna during receive has a noticeable noise figure of some
s7 to s9 city or natural noise conditions.

Will the ground screen enhance this noise, make it better or
what changes can I expect to see if I go ahead with this
project?  I had an 80 foot vertical when I lived in Seattle,
WA and it had a 50 foot square screen underneath it.  I only
worked 75 countries here on topband in a 15 year period
though.  This however, is the Midwest and I'm hoping for
better results but don't want to tire myself with any
unnecessary improvements that will lead to possible
disappointment and or a waste of time.

Please direct all comments and suggestions to me personally
and if enough are received, I will summarize here on the
reflector for others to share as well.

Thanks de K0CKDennis in Iowa