Topband: Pacific DX Test - hard times at VK6VZ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Pacific DX Test - hard times at VK6VZ
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 06:47:02 +0800
A blanket of poor propagation and atmospheric noise, causing frustration and
despondency, fell onto the VK6VZ QTH as soon as the Pacific DX Test commenced.

With a steady S5 - S7 noise level and even VK3 stations below it, working
out of WA at all was hard.  The log shows only six stations, with W8JI heard
at S3 only for a few seconds and nothing heard from the west coast all.  My
best DX was ZL2REX - the only ZL I worked.

At around sunrise, I listened to Mike VK6HD, some 450km south east of me,
working a string of Europeans, giving up to S7 reports.  Here, I heard DJ7AA
briefly at S5 and a few characters from IV3PRK - still with the continuous
sizzle of the atmospheric noise, but nothing of any of the others. As I have
learnt in the past, several hundred km can make a hell of a difference where
160m conditions are concerned.

For some reason, the only antenna which showed a good signal to noise was my
80m vertical - even the Bev was relatively noisy and didn't help to pull out
the weak ones.

I must have done something really really bad.  I have the best antenna I
have ever had and it didn't make a bit of difference.

What a cruel mistress is 160.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ