Topband: JA 160m allocation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JA 160m allocation
From: ja0dai@ba.mbn.or.jp (S. Watanabe)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:24:33 +0900
Hi Topbanders in summer vacation,

It is rumored that JA 160m band allocation will be changed in a year or two.
The 1810-1825kHz segment was assigned for JA almost 20 years ago, but has
been reserved until all the navigation and mobile operations within this band
move to another band. The current 1910 +/-2.5kHz segment has been
"temporarily" allocated. Now it is 2 years after discontinue of LORAN A
operation.

It is likely that we can use current 1910 segment sequentially as it is,
after revival of lower 1810-1825 segment. I am now wondering how should we
do in the new wider transmitting bands for efficient DX QSO.

It would increase a chance of QSO by calling a DX on his frequency, otherwise
we will have heavy inter-JA QRM that we have never experienced in the lower
segment. Many European stations come on around 1830kHz, so there might be
still split frequency QSO in the most cases.

Questions are:

1. Which segment will be better for us JA to transmit to give good
reception in overseas?

2. Are there any dead frequencies that cannot be used in our transmitting
band?

3. Which do you prefer to make QSO with JAs on co-frequency or on split
frequencies, if you are allowed to operate both?

Any comment will be appreciated, thank you.
Let's hope we could get out from narrow 5kHz band very very soon.

                        73 Watt JA0DAI (also WR3W)