TopBand: SPDCIII, N7GP report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: SPDCIII, N7GP report
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:20:10 -0700
        I tried a new operating location this year.  Setup Field Day style
in the Peloncillo Mountains about 15 miles SW of my home, across the state
line in Arizona.  Used the XZ1N tested FT1000mp to a dipole and laid out 4,
low, unterminated Bevs for receive.  Epson 486-25 laptop running NA 10.24
for logging and a Winbook 486 for GeoClock.  A 14' camp trailer was
utilized as the shack.
        Most signals were weak and activity was low.  Best east direction Q
was WP2/WB9Z.  Was called by KH7R more than one hour before his sunset for
the best west direction Q.  Some VE7s were the farthest north, and nothing
to the south.
        I was dragging after spending all day setting up the operation, so
with no stations to keep me going I shut down at 0715 Z and slept the rest
of the night.  Listened a bit after getting up at 1430, and KH7R was still
S-9.
        All I can say is "It sure wasn't like the last two years!"  Thanks,
Tree and Lew for a neat, one night contest.  Keep it going.  73 all, de
Milt, N5IA

                                 STATS

Station:  N7GP                                  Operator:   N5IA

Location:  DM52, AZ, Zone 3                     Class:  Single Op, Low Power

QSOs:      169                  Points:   711                   Score:
1,422