TopBand: FT1000D Aux RX input

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FT1000D Aux RX input
From: k9uwa@cris.com (John K9UWA)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 22:06:29 +0000
 >   Just a reminder to all using the FT1000D, the aux receive input is
not
> well protected from excessive RF on its input. In an attempt to slightly
> improve my rx antenna situation I connected up a relatively low 160M-40M
> trap dipole to its input. On my small suburban lot the dipole is within 20'
> of the Inv L. Even though I was observing over 10W impinging upon it, prior
> to connecting it to the aux receive input,  I had assumed the radio would
> open the line when transmitting. It does not and it took less than one
> character to smoke my 12db pad (and as a consequence my 18db selection
> also).
>
>  I was fortunate I didn't take out more of the front end.
>  Two nights before SP, aarrghh....
>  Ken
> WO1N
Hi Ken....this is also true of MOST all modern transceivers...Kenwood,
Icom , Yeasu.....check ou this Web Page for a quick answer to keeping
your Rig happy..."Front End Saver"....I killed the front end in my
IC-765 twice before we figured out why!!

 http://home1.gte.net/crlewis/index.htm

Yes they are friends of mine...Chuck builds and sells them and Gary
KD9SV designed them......at MY request after the above killing of my
Icom
de John K9UWA

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations