TopBand: Ground radials for LF vertical ant

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Ground radials for LF vertical ant
From: gtaft@voyager.net (George Taft)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:57:15 -0500
The Battle Creek (Special) gang subscribe to the "more is better"
theory, for ground radials under GP verticals

Initially, we provided 16 radials 130' long with the BCS loaners but
found many were having trouble finding the area to deploy all of the
radials.  We became aware that some groups simply didn't use all the
wire we had provided.s  Even when all 16 radials were out, we didn't
think the results were outstanding.

So we essentially cut those in half and now provide 32 X 60 radials with
the BCS loaners (for several years now) and u can judge the results for
urself.  We even suggest to groups that if they have other left over
wire with them, they add it to the radial system of the BCS, regardless
of length.

More is better - even if it's only 10 feet from the base of the ant.
Many chaps have used "Chicken wire fencing" close in, at their home stn
antennas - and we have heard of some DXpeditions actually taking a roll
of fencing with them to their DXpedition location.

Just our opinion

Happy holidays

73  George  W8UVZ