TopBand: 1830 Carrier

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 1830 Carrier
From: n2nt@exit109.com (Andy Blank)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:07:54 -0500

For those who have been baffled by carriers on 1830, I offer this possible
explanation.
Look around for something with a switching power supply in it, or maybe an
old computer.

I have a fax machine in the shack, and when it is on, there is a steady
carrier on 1830, and assorted other frequencies. Actually it is not a
carrier, but more like a buzzing with multiple frequencies. Could be
mistaken for broadcast mixing products.
When I turn off the power, 1830 is ready for weak signals again!

It's only a problem when I forget to turn it off.

73, Andy N2NT