TopBand: Balloon supported antennas for 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon supported antennas for 160M
From: jkjones@fn.net (Jon K. Jones)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:50:17 -0600
>"The balloons barely make it through a contest weekend....
>As far as refilling the balloons, the rubber seems to change
>consistancy and we have never tried this."

I can use a balloon for about 2 months, deploying it up to
4 to 5 nights a week depending on WX. The balloon neck is a
weak point - don't tie anything directly to it. I use a small plastic
bottle to put the neck around - this protects it. I recharge the balloon
every 4 or 5 days and just leave it filled for the season out in the garage.

>"After two days the helium leaks out through the rubber enough for
>the balloon to lose lifiting power."  - Rich,   WA5NYG

More likely the helium is leaking out of the tie off point. Unless the
balloon is damaged - like the time the kids used it for a punching bag!
Rich is correct that rain or windy WX will bring down the balloon - I have
found winds over 12 mph will be a problem. - Jon N0JK