TopBand: antenna installation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: antenna installation
From: amen@earthling.net (Keith Jillings)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:33:40 +0100
SCOTT A LONG wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a fishing line shot up through
> or over a tree for my new Inv-L?

Well, I tried all the methods including slingshot (called a "catapult"
in the UK), bow and arrow, even firework rockets.   The best, in my
view, is a weight and a line:  whirl the weight around (vertically,
accelerating till it's whistling well and pointing in the right
direction) then release it.  If you do it right, it will describe a
parabolic curve through the air, neatly over the top of your tree, and
with enough momentum to carry on down to the ground on the other side.
 It takes a little practice, and you need several weights (invariably
the "misses" wrap several loops of the line round the tree and the
weight stays up there).

In the far-distant days when I was a hyperactive topbander, the "right"
weight was a mil standard carbon microphone transformer.   Not seen any
of them for a long time, so had to use pebbles with holes in.  (XYL
thought I was nuts, drilling holes in large pebbles!).

The weight needs to be heavy enough to pull the line behind it and to
reach the ground the other side, but not too heavy to whirl accurately.
Thin gloves are a good idea, too, since the line can give some nasty
burns to the fingers if you whirl with good vigour.

I used to be able to get a line over the top of a full-sized oak tree,
but haven't tried for a long time.   I did put a wire over the little
tree in my suburban garden last year, but that tree's only about 35 feet
high.

I won't be in W8 in the foreseeable future (but visiting W6 in February)
so can't offer to come and fix it for you...

Best 73,

Keith
--
Keith Jillings